Thursday, November 20, 2008

Homeschool blog:2

It's been a while since I've written about this but I am trying to take things slow since I have a year of public school to finish. As much as I'd like to take off running w/ homeschooling right now, I know this extra time is going to help prepare me for the journey ahead. I am excited and scared all at the same time! I've been reading a couple books and have many more lined up. I want to take in all that I can before I start making any "big" decisions for our first year. Their is SO much to consider.

Things I am praying and pondering over...

~Can we do this? Neither Clint or I went to college and we both just barely got through high school. I often ask myself if we have the knowledge and wisdom to do this. I'm praying for wisdom. James 1:5 "If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him."

~Co-op or no co-op? I know being part of home school organizations will benefit us but I'm not sure if I want to do it the first year. My girls will both be "deschooling" and because of this I want to take things easy and make fun and creativity a priority.

~Text books, work books, curriculum? Should I use these? Which ones? How much will it cost? The common pattern I'm reading and hearing about from homeschoolers is how often work books and text books can become more of a burden then a blessing. Since I was raised in institutional school and both my girls have done that thus far, I fear how easy it might be to fall into the patterns and procedure of the institutional schooling process. I do not want homeschooling for us to just be sitting around a table doing worksheets and answering questions from text books. However, it seems that they are a vital "tool" for homeschooling. I just need to keep it a tool and not let it be a tyrant. How will this look for us?

~Change? This is going to bring much change into our lives. I alone am going to have the change the most. I will need to shift some of my priorities quite a bit to give my kids the time they need and deserve and to be the best influence possible. Time spent online, chatting on the phone, attending every social gathering, being a part of everything, various ministries... all things that will have to decrease or at least change in order for me to give this my best. God has already begun a work in me.

Things we are very excited about...

~Our first purchase! Clint and I bought maps the other day to hang in our playroom. We got one of each; the World, North America, US and a bonus poster w/ the flags of the world. (good price at Costco if your interested) We are confident they will come in handy for homeschooling. Maybe one day we can mark them up with all the places we travel in the US. (Field trips!)

~Tornado's, sports and honey! Both the girls have thought of some things they are excited to learn about when we home school. Drew wants to learn about the history of sports. How they started, who, where? She is also very interested in learning more about tornado's. Lilly is excited to learn how bee's make honey.

~Freedom!!! Homeschooling is going to give us the freedom to learn about all the things we are interested in and the time to do it.

~Family!!! Spending the entire day learning, working and playing together. Being the key influence and role model in my children's lives and growing deeper in relationship with them because of it.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Ok, I have to say, I'm so excited for you! You have done a lot of thinking and research. Wow! I must comment on the "Can you do this?" Yes, you can!! You do not need a college anything (degree, credit, etc.) to be a good homeschooling mom (or dad). The most important thing to teach, after God, is how to learn, IMO. You will do a great job. I love hearing how much you enjoy your children.

Heather said...

I am so excited for you Amber! I have seen your natural teaching abilities blossom the past few years and know that you will do a great job!

Can I be a guest teacher sometimes? I think it would be so cool to get to teach them a topic or a new skill. (Of course, that may be my way of horning in on all your fun and still getting time with you and the kiddos, but I want to play too! Plus then I could try it out vicariously through you in anticipation of my kid(s) entering into that age.)