Saturday, May 30, 2009

Will I ever forgive myself?

Drew has been a Panther soccer player for the last 2 years. Soccer has brought so much joy to Drew and she happens to be quite good at it too... We love her team cause the girls are great, a mixture from her old school and from Seaview. Her coaches are the best in the league and all the parents are so nice. We have enjoyed getting to know and developing relationships with them over the last couple of years.

Well May is the time to sign them up again. Returning players can sign up from May 6th-May 27th and on May 29th the doors open for any new players to the league. Typically there is a big line up real early in the morning to get new players on the team of the parents choosing.

So yesterday morning I checked my email like I usually do. Their was an email from Drew's coach about the uniforms. As soon as I opened the email it hit me right in the pit of my stomach. I FORGOT TO SIGN DREW UP!!!!!! I quickly scrambled to check the date and was crushed to realize that the time to guarantee her spot on the Panthers had passed. After scrambling for a few minutes Drew and Clint were out the door to go get in line to hopefully sign her up on the Panthers again. I kept telling myself "This has to work out!". Well, it didn't. Drew called me about 1/2 later and said "I didn't get on the team" My thoughts were "NO, this can't be true!" Then I actually said to her "You're lying." (I know, pretty terrible to say to my 9 year old) So after drilling her to find out whether or not she was pulling my leg she explained how it all went down and how she's now on another team with a girl she used to go to school with.

I felt absolutely terrible and had to talk to Clint to see from his perspective how she was handling the whole thing. Lets just say she took it a lot better then her Mom who was in a mess of tears at this point. Clint kept reminding me that God is in control and maybe this new team is where she is supposed to be. I'm trying to keep my faith in that but still feel terrible that this happened do to my forgetfulness and procrastination. I really felt like the worst mother in the world. I especially feel this cause now that we are homeschooling it is supposed to be a huge priority to keep the relationships the kids have with their friends from public school and this soccer team was a HUGE way for us to do that.

At this point Drew is fine with the change but will gladly take a spot on the Panthers if one opens up. Her coach is seeing what he can do to get her back but I'm not sure if that will happen. I'm am trying really hard to forgive myself and trust that God will have Drew on the team where she is supposed to be. I'm also taking this as a lesson learned... Right after I got off the phone with Drew and Clint I drove straight to the rec center to sign Lilly up for a class and as soon as I got home I signed Drew up for summer camp at LBC. (2 things I had been meaning to do along with signing up for soccer)

I am very thankful that my sweet Drew has forgiven me...

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Forgive yourself. It's ok!!